Sunday, March 15, 2020

GAF View-Master

If you grew up in the 1960s or 1970s chances are either you or a close friend had a GAF View-Master. By today's standards, it might not be terribly exciting as you can not only see 3D images but experience 3D visualizations with VR headsets like the HTC Vive, Oculus, or even something as inexpensive as Google Cardboard. So when I was small I had one of these handheld View-Master viewers and looked at great mini-episodes of my favorite network TV shows, like Julia, Mod Squad, and even The Partridge Family


Then my parents bought me the View-Master Projector and I could share with friends my favorite TV shows or a host of other reels like the Florida Everglades.  The cool part of this was it was 3D!!  The downside to the concept was unless your parents were wealthy, your friends kept seeing the same reels over and over.


I still have quite a few of the reels, complete with tattered packaging. When Diahann Carroll passed away in 2019, I searched for a near vintage set of View-Master reels from her TV series Julia.  I vividly remember watching both Julia and The Doris Day Show when I was very small and wanted a trip down memory lane.


No comments:

Post a Comment