Saturday, January 28, 2012

Kelvinator Foodarama Side-by-Side

All of this talk about the Frigidaire Flair oven/stove starting me thinking about our kitchen when I was a child in New York.  What was the most striking member of the kitchen appliance stable was the Kelvinator 'Foodarama' side-by-side fridge.  It was avacado green, of course.  What I recall from this fridge is its size, it was HUGE. You simply would not believe how wide the freezer unit was.  When we left NY my mom refused to leave it behind and it lasted another 12 years before she had to get a new one.  So I am guessing it lasted about 18 years.  Looking around on the web for images I came up with these two - the first is a 1966 ad and it is even in avacado green!  The second provide a series of exterior and interior images - it states the unit is from 1955 - this is impossible.  Looking at ads from 1955 for Kelvinator units - they clearly were another generation of the Foodarama line.  

And after all these years - my mom still uses the wire egg basket from this fridge in her current refrigerator.


No comments:

Post a Comment